Love is patient, love is kind. - 1 Corinthians

Monday, March 7, 2011

March Post

I've entitled this "March Post" because I'm sure it's the only one I will get around to posting this month. You get a full time job and all your blogging time goes out that window!!
Speaking of a job... I HAVE ONE! I'm currently working at the University of Utah Hospital as a Nutrition Care Associate. I started in early February and man is it a lot of work! They have some amazing benefits and so I know this will be a great place for me to be at for awhile. I hope to take advantage of the 50% off tuition in a few months, if I can fit it in with my work/home life.
Days on go something like this:
5am - Wake Up!
6:10 - If I'm not on the Trax train, I'm screwed, and late!
6:50 - train stops and I RUN to clock in and get into the kitchen
7 - start "podding" the breakfast trays (this is me putting all the items my patients have ordered on their trays and getting them ready to be taken to their rooms).
7-10a- Plating the food, delivering it and getting orders taken (and electronically entered) from each patient. Doing any room service and anything else that might need to be done.
10:15 - get ready for lunch and anything else that might need to be handled. Deliver snacks to various units/clinics/patients. Pick up tray carts from the patient floor.
11 -2 - Pod lunch, get it delivered and take orders for dinner and breakfast
2pm - If I'm lucky, and on time, this is where another SITTING break happens and food and water are inhaled for 30mins
2:30 - more snacks, getting carts, etc
4- Dinner time and a rush to get them delivered and be back down and clocked out by 5:30pm
5:37 - BE ON the Trax train and head home - THIS NEVER HAPPENS. I'm usually still busy with patients at this time or running around in the kitchen. Which means I have to take a later train and do a transfer downtown, getting me home around 7pm. Yes, I work 10hours and put another hour on each side of that (at least) for travel. I'm EXHAUSTED by the time I get home, but Emerson is usually pretty happy to see me, and so is David. I love coming home to them and wish that my days weren't so long, but the work I do is truly, very rewarding. I have some pretty amazing patients and my co-coworkers keep things fun too. As much as I'm running around the time flies by and before I know it we are getting dinner prepared.
My weekly schedule can be all over the place, but with 3 days off a week I use that time to love on Emerson and David and do as little as possible. Today though, my house is BEGGING me to clean it. So, that's what I will go and do... but only until Emerson wakes up from his nap :)

Emerson is doing great! He got his first ear infection last week, but he's trying to be a trooper. He takes lots of naps, which is helping him get over his illness. I love his bright smile and giggly laugh! I will have to take some more pictures of him and get them on here, cause he sure has grown! We go in on Wednesday for his 15month check-up... can you believe it's been that long since he made his arrival! He feels like he's been here forever and yet, not long enough at the same time.

David is still working hard and going to school. With my work schedule his school schedule has kind of been messed up. I feel really bad about this, but he utilizes what time he can to devote to it and hopefully work will slow down soon so he can have some more free time there. With me being gone pretty much all day, on the days I work, he has really stepped up and taken care of everything. He makes sure the dog is fed and walked before work...doing this with a busy 1 year old is hard! Then he gets Emerson to his sitter and himself to work all by 9am. Then picks up Em and takes Nemo for another walk when he gets home and plays with Emerson until I arrive. Dinner is something he hasn't managed to pull off every night, but who can blame him!?! I'm just happy that he's able to do what he can... dinner can be mac and cheese or top ramen for all I care, as long as we are together :)

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow girl.... what a crazy schedule you have! Wow! I look up to you for being able to juggle it all.

    Aren't ear infections the worst?! ugh... no fun!

    I agree with you too... the togetherness is the most important part, especially with such busy schedules.